Thursday, December 15, 2011

Baltimore

As I approach  my 4-month anniversary with downtown Baltimore, many people have been asking me about my feelings towards the city... I figure the best way to express my mixed emotions is with a few mixed anecdotes: 

- Zachariah is the man who sells roses and teddy bears at the intersection of North Avenue and Mt. Royal. I see him everyday when I walk to and from work. He always greets me with a big smile and a "Hello! How are you? You know, you remind me of my daughter, she is very smart!" I've never seen him actually sell anything to anyone. It's a shame. He's really nice. 

- The selection of FM stations in Baltimore is worse than in Kenai. But I listen to NPR when I get ready in the morning, like I did when I was in college. Schools here are delayed because of "fog warnings." It wasn't until recently that I learned what in the world that was all about. 

- I've had to say "No, thank you, I don't drink" more times in the past 4-months than I have in my entire life. 

-Why don't the grocery stores keep their shopping carts inside the store? It took me 2 months to train myself to grab a cart before I enter Safeway. 

- I thought I was such a burdened undergrad, always packing around instruments everywhere; but this morning a saw a MICA student in orange tights carrying 3 canvases, a sleeping bag, a bag of laundry, and a backpack. You'd think with their crazy tuition prices, each student would get an alpaca to aid in transportation of personal items and art materials. 

- Women here are really serious about their boots. It's December and it hasn't even snowed; your $200 boots are pointless. It's the female equivalent of wearing sunglasses indoors. 

- I know that when I leave, I'm going to desperately miss my friends at the City Cafe. They're some of the best people I've ever worked with. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the twitter note. 140-char limit was tight on response, so expanding here. Was going on Christian's info, but wanted to check if the fact that this was contemporary to 2006 made a difference. He said "at the time" about the position, so my assumption is that they swapped people. Either way, I want to make sure it is correct. I was a 20-year newspaper guy (Balt Sun photog) before becoming a photo blogger.

    And while I have you, just a quick note to say hoe much I loved Colberg's project as well as BSO's willingness to go along. That says a lot about you guys. I was bummed by the empty slots on the walls due to personnel changes. If BSO would like, I can easily pick up the project and bring it up to date.

    Doing it in Christian's style would be easy, but you can see some of my work here: http://davidhobby.zenfolio.com/

    I never charge when shooting for artists. It is something I love to do. So if BSO is up to fill the gaps, shoot me an email at hobbydavid@yahoo.com.

    -David

    p.s. Brian Prechtl, a BSO percussionists, is a friend and tutor for my son. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.p.s. Love you blog! Good luck with the intership.

    ReplyDelete